By: Egg Farmers of Ontario
(POSTED: August 22, 2011)
Egg & Tuna Schooners
The perfect snack for a day spent by the water, these Egg and Tuna Schooners provide inspiration to exercise your imagination and your body. These energy packed, bite-sized treats will give your kids the vigour they need to play all day. Come sail away in a fleet of edible sailboats.
Yield: Makes 10 sailboats
Prep Time: 10 minutes
5 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
1 can (170 g) tuna, drained
3 tbsp (30 mL) low-calorie mayonnaise or salad dressing
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped celery
Salt, to taste
10 tortilla chips (triangle-shaped)
1. Drain canned tuna and place contents in a mixing bowl.
2. Add mayonnaise and celery. Mash all of the ingredients together.
Egg and Tuna Schooners
1. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks; set whites aside. Mash yolks with a fork.
2. Break up tuna with a fork. Add egg yolks, mayonnaise or salad dressing, celery, and salt to taste.
3. Fill the egg white halves with tuna salad mixture.
4. To make each “sailboat”, place a tortilla chip in the tuna mixture to resemble sail.
Don't feel like tuna? You could also use salmon, chicken, crab or egg salad filling or devilled eggs to make these sailboats.
Nutrients Per Sailboat: 70 Calories, 3.5 g Fat, 150 mg Sodium, 2 g Carbohydrate, 0 g Fibre, 7 g Protein
Your readers can access these summer sensations online and many more at www.eggfarmersofontario.ca .