(POSTED: May 15, 2005)
Amazing Banana Nut Roll
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
4 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Sifted powdered sugar
1 recipe Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
Chocolate-flavored syrup (optional)
1. Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
2. For filling, in a small mixing bowl combine cream cheese and the 1/2 cup granulated sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add whole egg and milk; beat until combined. Spread in the prepared pan; set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved. Stir in banana and nuts.
4. Thoroughly wash the beaters. In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over egg mixture; fold in just until blended.
5. Carefully spread the batter evenly over the filling in the pan. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
6. Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan and turn out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off paper. Starting with a short side, roll up cake, using towel as a guide but not rolling towel into cake. Cool completely on rack.
7. Spread top with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting. If desired, drizzle with chocolate-flavored syrup. Makes 10 servings.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: In a small mixing bowl combine half of a 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 1 cup unsifted powdered sugar. Beat in enough milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Makes about 1/2 cup frosting.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens