(POSTED: May 23, 2005)
8 dried lasagna noodles
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can no salt added tomato sauce
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil or oregano, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1 beaten egg
2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook noodles and broccoli separately according to their package directions; drain well. Set aside.
2. For sauce, in a large saucepan stir together tomato sauce, undrained diced tomatoes, celery, onion, sweet pepper, basil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until sauce is thick, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
3. Meanwhile, for filling, in a bowl stir together egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Stir in cooked broccoli.
4. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with half of the noodles, half of the filling, and half of the remaining sauce. Repeat layers, ending with the sauce.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven for 25 minutes; sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake about 5 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens